Can’t find the help you’re looking for?
Read more FAQs
- Who is CarbonClick?
- CarbonClick is a New Zealand company that exists to reverse climate change by empowering businesses and their customers to take climate action. By making carbon offsets simple, trustworthy and cost-effective, CarbonClick connects millions of people to high-quality offsetting projects that restore nature and reduce pollution, building a happier and more sustainable future.
- What does carbon offsetting do?
- Voluntary carbon offsetting is a way to compensate for unavoidable carbon emissions. Individuals or organisations can support projects that positively impact the environment and reduce or avoid carbon emissions that would have otherwise contributed to climate change. If the positive impact of this support negates the negative effect, i.e., if the emissions avoid equal the original emissions of activity, that activity is said to be "offset". In most circumstances, the activity or product can now be classified as carbon neutral as far as you’ve offset. Alternatively, a business may be able to offset this themselves and claim carbon neutrality or net-zero carbon.
- What are carbon credits?
- A carbon credit is a mechanism used to measure and support projects that fight climate change. Projects get carbon credits for every tonne of carbon absorbed or removed from the atmosphere. Carbon credits are certified by international standards and held in registries like the New Zealand Emissions Trading Scheme or the Gold Standard registry (international credits) and can be purchased to reduce the carbon impact of an initiative or activity.
- Where does the money go?
- To enable their unique track and trace feature, CarbonClick pre-purchases carbon credits. This transparent reimbursement model means that you can immediately see the retirement certificates from the projects you are supporting and know your contribution has a direct impact. A vital feature of a carbon offsetting project is additionality, which means the project could not go ahead without the finance of carbon credits. We rigorously analyse our projects to ensure that additionality criteria are met and that your money has a direct impact.
- Why should I offset?
- The first step in climate action should always be reducing carbon emissions. This reduction can come from actions like choosing electric or more fuel-efficient vehicles. Offsetting is part of the larger journey towards ’net-zero’, as not all emissions can be avoided and reduced. Offsetting is the only way to neutralise the environmental impact of these emissions. Plus, it’s an action you can take right now, no matter where you are on your sustainability journey.
- How to pay to offset carbon emissions when renting a car in New Zealand?
- Offsetting your carbon emissions couldn’t be simpler when you rent a car with GO Rentals. When you book a car hire with GO, you will get the opportunity to pay to offset your carbon emissions as part of the booking process. It’s a simple opt-in option, allowing you to offset your rental emissions, helping to do your bit to protect our beautiful country.